What is Vitamin C ?
Vitamin C or ascorbic acid is a water soluble vitamin, which means it is easily dissolved in water. It is not produced by the body and must therefore be ingested ( food, drink or supplementation).
Why do you need Vitamin C ?
1. Vitamin C builds and repairs tissues all over the body
2. It is needed for the protein used in skin formation, tendons, ligaments and blood vessels
3. It is needed for wound healing
4. It promotes the absorption of iron
5. It is one of the antioxidants . Antioxidants blocks the damage caused by free radicals. Free radicals are produced by the break down of certain foods , tobacco smoke and radiation.
How do you get Vitamin C ?
Vitamin C is found in most fruit and vegetables:
Strawberries, pineapples, oranges, grapefruit, cherries, plums, kiwi, cantaloupe etc
Spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, tomatoes, green and red peppers
Some cereals and dairy products have vitamin c added. Check the labels for information
What happens if you do not get enough vitamin C ?
2. Bleeding gums
3. Delayed wound healing
4. Dry Scaly skin
5. Dry and brittle hair
6. Swollen painful joints
The amount of vitamin C that is needed is based on age and gender and the level of wellness. Most people require at least 75mg daily, but this may be adjusted by your physician as needed.