Women are at a higher risk of contracting urinary infections because of the close proximity of the urethral opening to the vagina and anus. Organisms from these areas can easily move to the urethra and into the bladder causing infection.
There are a number of things that can be done to prevent UTI’s:
1. Wiping from front to back. If you have to wipe more than once use another tissue.
2. Increase fluid intake, up to 6 glass of water each day. The fluid will dilute the urine making it more acidic. An acid-ash diet is recommended to increase the acidity of the urine : cranberries, prunes, plums, whole grains and eggs, to name a few.
3.Avoid bubble baths and tub baths. This causes irritation .Take showers instead.
4. Wash perineal area before intercouse.
5. Avoid tight clothing; underwear, panty hose and slacks. Tight clothing cause irritation. Wear cotton underwear.
6. Use a position for sexual intercourse that does not put pressure on the anterior vaginal wall. Void after intercourse.
Hyacinth Ellis, RN